Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship heard testimony this week from veterans about the challenges they face in starting their own small businesses, according to Black Enterprise, in a hearing called, “From Military Service to Small Business Owner: Supporting America’s Veteran Entrepreneurs.” Click through to read more about the hearing.
Some of the programs the SBA runs to assist veterans include:
- SBA Patriot Express 7(a) Loans: low-interest loans targeted specifically to veteran small business owners.
- Boots to Business: public-private partnership to teach transitioning service members how to start a business.
- Women Veterans Igniting the Spirit of Entrepreneurship: comprehensive entrepreneurial training program designed for women veterans.
- Entrepreneurship Bootcamp for Veterans with Disabilities: specific training and business counseling for service-disabled veterans.
- Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business Procurement: sets aside federal contracts for competition only among service-disabled veteran-owned small businesses.
- Veterans Business Outreach Centers: counseling, training, and mentoring programs for veteran small business owners.