Be an active listener.
- When asking qs, try to thoughtfully engage your audience. Don’t just listen for what you want to hear.
Remove yourself from the equation.
- More often than not, the work you are doing is not about you. It is about your audience.
Avoid the vacuum.
- Whenever possible, don’t work alone. Talk with people, whether they are your teammates or guerrilla testers in a cafe. Solicit input and feedback as often as possible, and remember your audience.
- Know when you’re right, and know when you’re wrong.
- Be honest with yourself, with your team and with your time.
- We’re all in this together, and we all have people to thank.
Don’t be afraid to fail.
- Challenge yourself at all times, and learn from every experience — good and bad.
Learn to say no.
- This can be the hardest lesson to learn, but also one of the most important.
- We all want to live longer, right? Enjoy what you do.
Advice from architect, Benjamin Dauer, from his interview with Smashing Magazine.