As part of their “Moving Forward” series, which offers advice to small business owners on technology, mentorship, productivity, and growth, Business Insider posted an article on small business and technology where a number of small business owners shared anecdotes of the ways that technology had impacted their work.
They suggested that, “For the 23 million small businesses in America, technology is key to leveling the playing field with big corporations.”
In their comments section, commenter TE had this poignant thought:
It could also be that technology disadvantages small business. Which is why small business has been suffering. Technology enables economies of scale – which is the forte of big business.
Small business may not want the playing field leveled. They may only thrive because of the bumps in the field that they can hide in. Same thing with US employees who don’t need the competition with someone overseas who has a cost of living 1/10 as much and can take take lower wages.
Bottom line – technology enables efficiency. Efficiency gets more so with bigness or economies of scale. Hyper efficiency leads to inequality. That is what is really happening out there.
- 25 Apps Small Businesses Need to Succeed (rasmussen.edu)
- Are you using the right technology for your small business? (hiscoxusa.com)
- How Can The Cloud Level The Playing Field For Small Businesses? (business2community.com)
- Top Woman Entrepreneurs to Follow on Twitter (grasshopper.com)
- How Technology Actually Saved A Paper-Based Small Business (businessinsider.com)